Sunday, November 13, 2011

Wait or Go?

Whenever I lack inspiration, I turn to one person and one person only: Samuel Beckett. In particular, his work Waiting for Godot is highly inspirational. It'll only take the average person a couple of hours to read since it's a play. However, you can't read it only once. The first time I read it I had no idea what it was about and didn't appreciate it. Nevertheless, we had to write an essay on it so I went and read it a second time. When I finished reading it the second time, it still didn't make complete sense but I felt like there was more to it than I originally thought. The third time I read it, it all made sense, despite it being Beckett. If I hadn't been told to write an essay on this text, I would have been deprived of so much inspiration since I didn't really enjoy reading it the first time. Now, the text gets me through every rough time I ever experience. If I don't feel inspired to make a difference in the world, I spend a couple of hours reading Waiting for Godot and I'm excited to get back on the right track.

To be honest with you, you may read it and interpret the text differently so take my perception of what the text is about with a grain of salt. Essentially, the story is about two protagonists Vladimir and Estragon waiting for Godot to come. Spoiler Alert: Godot never comes. In life, we're constantly waiting for people or moments to come. We expect opportunities to present themselves. Yet, we never actively look for them. On average, people are passive. As a result, our lives become routine. We don't push ourselves hard enough to seek new opportunities. We merely aim to have the basic necessities and fulfill the basic duties. We really take our lives forgranted. Vladimir and Estragon wasted their time waiting for Godot to come, however, they never appreciated the time they were spending. They bickered with one another, complained about waiting and wasted their lives away. It is really easy for all of us to do the same. It's really important to throw yourself off every now and then. It's also really important to have a bit of fun. Life is a journey. Each moment should be cherished. There are some really good passages and quotes in it as well. I'll post some of the quotes below yet I really recommend reading the text. Reading a quote out of context is like talking to a person for 10 seconds and acting like you know their whole life story. You don't and you won't. When you read the quotes within the text and read the story as a whole, it's magical. I have never been moved so much by any text. Samuel Beckett is a genius.

Quotes

"Tomorrow everything will be better"

Estragon: "Let's go"
Vladimir:"We can't"
Estragon: "Why not?"
Vladimir: "We're waiting for Godot"

"We are all born mad. Some remain so."

"Let us not waste our time in idle discourse! (Pause. Vehemently.) Let us do something, while we have the chance! It is not every day that we are needed. But at this place, at this moment of time, all mankind is us, whether we like it or not. Let us make the most of it, before it is too late!"

"To-morrow, when I wake, or think I do, what shall I say of to-day?"

No comments: