Monday, October 10, 2011

Oh snap, I've Committed Suicide


As a lot of you know, I have been trying new things to live life to the fullest for the past couple of months. However, I find that though I've changed, a lot of people around me haven't changed at all. I don't mean to offend anyone with this post, I'm simply trying to open your eyes. Before I had my eye-opening experience, I was just like everyone else. My cousin Andre died of a heart attack at the age of twenty about 5 years ago. In a lot of ways, he saved my life. I spent the past summer crying over a guy who broke my heart and didn't even care. As I was lying in bed one night hoping that the overwhelming tears would eventually knock me out, I thought about my cousin. This made me cry even more. Why did my cousin have to die? Who dies of a heart attack at the age of twenty? It honestly makes no sense. Suddenly, it hit me. I thought to myself, "Oh snap, I've committed suicide." Sure my heart was still beating and I was still breathing but I've never explored the world, I've never challenged myself, and I've never truly been happy. I was a robot, simply on the planet completing basic functions. I ate, I slept, I worked. Man, I was so useless. There's this line from Ingrid Michaelson's song "Keep Breathing" and it states, "I want to change the world, instead I sleep." When I was a child, I was so ambitious and wanted to change the world. What happened to all of that childhood ambition? Well you know what? It's back. I'm going to change the world. I can't be dead anymore. Some of you may be wondering how I'm going to tackle this massive task. Step one: Wake the world up. I'm going to be working on a project to make this happen. If you want to be involved in it, let me know.

For those of you who are currently in a rut, here's a list of some songs that have inspired me and get me going when I begin to lose motivation.

All American Rejects - Move Along
Gwen Stefani - What you waiting for?
S Club 7 - Bring it All Back
U2 - It's a beautiful day
Jimmy Eat World - The Middle
Bon Jovi - It's my life
Celine Dion - New Day
New Radicals - Get what you give
Switchfoot - Dare you to move
Survivor - Eye of the tiger

2 comments:

Marieke said...

Wow, that is inspiring...and it is great that you will make a video for anti-suicide. Hope that many people will see it and be able to be inspired like you were.

sasha said...

I'm sure without a doubt you will start attracting people that are a lot like you into your life. You seem to have so much energy, glad you're doing something with it!