Thursday, October 6, 2011

A Jolt of Inspiration

Every now and then I wake up with this strong motivation to live life to the fullest. For the past two months, it's been happening frequently. Two months ago today, I went skydiving for the first time. After the jump, my friends told me that I was brave for doing something so terrifying. I'm going to be honest, I was so scared that I went to Church twice that week, promised to give up alcohol for a year, threw up more than once half an hour before the jump and said my goodbyes to everyone. I was convinced that I was about to die. I definitely wouldn't call myself brave. I am a risk-taker though. I truly believe that in order to become a better person, you constantly need to challenge yourself. When you wake up in the morning remind yourself to be the best that you can be. You don't need to be as adventurous as I am to create a meaningful life for yourself. However, do step outside of your comfort zone every now and then. There will be times when you take a chance on something or someone and it all falls apart. But then you have these moments, where it all works out flawlessly and it feels fantastic. I went white water rafting without knowing how to swim. I have gone bungee jumping despite my fear of heights. I jumped out of a plane 12,500 feet in the sky with a fear of death in mind. Had I not done those things, I would be a completely different person than I am today.

They say that actions speak louder than words but words can still be influential. Thus, I will be updating this blog regularly with details about the adventures that I'm going on. To all of my readers out there, I am open to suggestions for things to do to live life meaningfully or to challenge myself as a person. Some of the things that I do may be a little out there, others may be completely traditional, but they will all help me recognize my strengths and weaknesses as a person. If any of you ever want to join me on one of my adventures let me know, it's better to do things with groups of people anyways!

Here's my skydiving video for a little motivation to get out there. It really was the best time of my life!

Warning: I didn't create the video and the first song in the video does have swearing. It is censored, however, it may be ideal to keep the volume off. I apologize for the inconvenience.



Untitled from Nicole Ferreira on Vimeo.

8 comments:

Mounir said...

That seems like an awesome experience! I don't think I have the guts do it just yet.

Marieke said...

Yeah i will never have the guts either, maybe next you should do swimming with the sharks if you wanna try something :)

Anonymous said...

WOW, Nicole - holy CRAP that is insane. I don't know that I would do it. I think I might...but for the most part I wouldn't want to. The part that freaks me out the most isn't the jumping out of a plane part, it's the anticipation of that "dropping" feeling - you know like when you're going down the big drop on a roller coaster? Do you have that the entire time when you're falling until the parachute opens? That is the worst feeling in the world for me haha.

-Ash.

Anonymous said...

I need to learn how to swim first before I decide to swim with sharks!

Ash, there is no 'dropping' feeling oddly enough when you go skydiving. I was expecting one but it never happened. You kind of just float there among the clouds! It's really enjoyable. You should try it out!

- Nikki

Temara Brown said...

WOOO YAY NICOLE!!! You go girl! hahaha

Anonymous said...

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Elena said...

That is AWESOME!!!! I wanna do it soooo badly now!!!!

Sanja said...

That looks fun, I can't wait to do it :D