Friday, October 7, 2011

Weight Loss Journey Accomplishment

About two years ago, I went to visit my doctor for an annual check-up. After looking at me for about 5 seconds, he said, "Get on the scale." Uh oh! So, I stepped onto the scale and he said, "193 pounds. Ms. Ferreira, you're going to need to work on that. You're obese." Some of you might be wondering what I did. Well, let me tell you!

First, I cried. And cried. And then I cried some more. How the heck did I not realize that I was obese? When did this all happen? Now, you might be looking at the picture to the left and be thinking, "She does not look like she weighed 193 pounds in that picture." You're right, I didn't weight that much in that picture. I didn't take pictures when I was obese because I felt too ugly to be photographed. Some of you might have 'lose weight' on your bucket lists. It was definitely on mine and to be honest I still haven't crossed it off yet. I'm not trying to lose anymore weight but I haven't finished challenging my body physically yet. My next challenge for myself: get abs. So for those of you who are obese or close to, the beginning will be the most challenging part. Actually, the beginning might be the hardest part for any of you trying to lose weight. However, if any of you need an extra push or a workout buddy, I'd be more than happy to help out. The reason why I referred to getting abs as 'my next challenge' is because it really is challenging. It takes a lot of hard work, focus and energy to accomplish. I'm optimistic that I will reach my goal because I'm determined to do it. I also have faith that those of you trying to cross this off your bucket list can do it too! Once you've lost most or all of the weight you plan on losing, you have much more energy, you're more confident and you feel invincible!

Here are some tips that helped me lose close to ninety pounds in 2 years:

Go for a walk with your iPod for about an hour a day. Do little bursts of running to build up your cardio and do not allow your body to get used to a certain pattern. Build up to do fifteen minutes of running a day. When I first started running, I was only able to run for 3 seconds and then I'd be out of breath. Run a few times during your one hour walk. If you need good pump up music playlists, let me know!
Stop drinking alcohol, pop and juice. Drink a lot of water. Once you've lost the weight, you can drink a little bit of alcohol every now and then. Some alcoholic beverages have more calories than the meals you eat.
Control your meal portions. I personally don't do the eat 6 smaller portions throughout the day, simply because I don't have time to make so many meals throughout the day. However, if you're eating too much food, eat a bit less. Don't eat so little that you're starving because that's also ineffective.
Don't eat after 8 pm.  Resist the urge to have a midnight snack.
Go to bed early. Your body needs rest and so does your mind. Relax. Manage your time wisely throughout the day so that you don't need to be up all night doing assignments or studying for tests.

For those of you trying to get abs, check out the following video. I heard that it's effective and that people have had success by doing the workouts. I will be doing it regularly so I will be keeping you updated!

3 comments:

Marieke said...

That sounds like a great tips, i am trying to loose weight myself and i have lost some, by starting to go to the gym... I am not going to LA Fitness and its going well, i can now do 20 min on the elliptical, and before i got out of breath, i am pushing myself each time i go. And i wanna get abs too :) I would recommend anyone to go to a gym or just do exercises at home to loose weight or just get in shape

Unknown said...

Those are very motivating results! I'm going to try them myself.

kyraehayes said...

Nikki, I have to say that I can relate to this post. I, too, was once much bigger than I am now and it was all about making lifestyle changes that I'll stick to for the rest of my life. It's great to see someone proud to share their story with the world; I don't know if I would've been so forthcoming!